Discover High School is now accepting applications for the 2019-20 school year. To apply please do the following:
- Download a copy of our Application and a copy of our Recommendation Form below. Print a copy of the Application and 3 copies of the Recommendation Form.
- Complete the Application.
- Ask three teachers and educators in your building (preferably at least your language arts and math teacher) to complete the forms and return with your application in sealed and signed envelopes or return with your application.
- With your application, please provide the following items as well:
- Copy of Your Last Report Card
- Copy of Your Standardized Testing Record (7th Grade EOCs, Other Standardized Testing)
- Copy of Discipline Record
- Copy of Attendance Report
- Submit all the items above with your Application and three Teacher Recommendations along with the Release Form below to our school office located at 301 West 18th Street, Newton, NC 28658.
All applications are due February 1, 2019. Students who are accepted will be notified on March 1.
Paper copy of applications are available at our school office.
2019-20 Acceptance Criteria
Automatic Entrance Criteria
Students who meet ALL the criteria listed below will be automatically accepted into Discovery High School.
- Level 3 or better on all End of Grade (EOGs) Tests in Grade 7
- All report grades (most recent report card) greater than or equal to 85 in core classes (Language Arts, Math, Science,Social Studies)
- No more than one in-school suspension incident and no out of school suspensions.
- Three positive recommendations (from Language Arts, Math, and one other educator in school) with average rating of greater than or equal to 4
- Students and staff members and siblings that attend or have previously attended are accepted if they meet minimum entrance criteria (See below)
Minimum Entrance Criteria (Students will be placed in lottery for remaining slots available.)
- Level 3 or better on all End of Grade Tests (EOGs) in grade 7 (May have 1 level two)
- Average of most recent report card grades of 80 or above in four core classes (Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies)
- No more than two suspensions (Any out-of-school suspensions require a written explanation or clarification. May require meeting with principal.)
- Three positive recommendations from Language Arts teacher, Math teacher, and other educator in school) with an average rating of greater than or equal to 3.5